Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The Color Yellow

A yellow iris -- one of my few attempts at using primarily the color yellow.  That made me think -- why do I avoid it?  I was told paintings with a lot of yellow in them rarely sell.  And yet I have sold my share of work with a strong yellow influence.

I looked up the color yellow in Wikepedia where they wrote "...yellow is the color people most often associate with amusement, gentleness, and spontaneity, but also with duplicity, envy, jealousy, avarice, and, in the U.S., with cowardice." I always thought it a happy color and rarely think of cowardice or avarice.  Apparently the Chinese like the sunny primary, because they believe it is the color of glory, wisdom, and happiness.


Vincent van Gogh adored his yellows. The world adores and admires his sunflowers.  His positioned his lovely purple irises against a warm sunny background. "The Bedroom" has a selection of yellow furnishings one can hope brightened his day.  Did Vincent sell his paintings with predominant uses of yellow?  I can't vouch.  But I believe lovers of his art appreciate the happiness he was able to bravely and boldly communicated with this color.
Vincent can Gogh on Google arts

Visit website and see if you spot shades and tones of yellow in any of my landscape paintings.
Krys Pettit Original Artwork

No comments:

Post a Comment