Friday, September 23, 2016

Flowers on a Friday "Wild Iris"

"Wild Irises" Original watercolor on Yupo
Years ago I would reward myself with a bouquet of fresh flowers on a Friday.  It was a special gift for myself, a small indulgence that pleased me.  These days I rarely buy myself flowers but still I paint them.

I particularly loved painting these irises since I broke away from the conventional use of watercolor paper and worked with a plastic paper called Yupo.  Watercolor paper absorbs water and pigment. Yupo is a plastic support and the water and paper pool on the surface.  It's a tricky thing to work watercolor on Yupo but I love it.  And the results, like a bouquet of flowers, are a great reward for a week of hard work.  I added a gentle spatter of gold metallic acrylic paint which gave the image a certain elegance.

Bring a bouquet into your day today.  And I hope you enjoy mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment