Wednesday, November 16, 2016

The Pencil and I

Brandywine River, Chadds Ford, PA Pencil and Charcoal on Paper
Private Collection

I adore color.  Like most artists I am seduced by the red, blues, yellow, heck even the browns and greys get me stimulated.
But to paint one really needs to know how to draw.  I have not had the benefit of formal art training like many of my colleagues so I always feel that I am playing catchup with those who have BFA and MFA degrees.  But I can draw and I began drawing at around 3 years of age.
I entertained myself quite a bit in boring classes through all 12 years of my formal education by constant sketching and doodling in the margins.  I practiced perspective drawing during particularly dull classes of algebra.
I passed all my classes, was awarded academic scholarships, received a college degree and made deans' lists in everything but never formerly studied art.  But I secretly had my own little art education program going on those margins of notes from mind-numbingly boring classes.
To this day I am in awe of what happens when you take a stick with pencil lead in it and a piece of paper, be it a professional grade drawing pad, the back of an envelope or a cocktail napkin.  That, my friend, is the magic of drawing.
For images of my artwork, painting and maybe a drawing or two, visit my website:
Krys Pettit Original Artwork

No comments:

Post a Comment