Wednesday, May 17, 2017

I Was Enchanted





I live in a flat, coastal climate and have for many years.  And sometimes it is less than inspiring for me as an artist.  So I like to take trips to places that inspire me and basically knock me off my feet. New Mexico accomplished that.

They call New Mexico "The Land of Enchantment" and I was truly enchanted.  The vastness, the stillness, the open spaces were breathtaking.


Nature seem to have taken her hand and gently molded what look like nice little hills - until you realize they can be between 7,000 and 12,000 feet high.

 You can drive forever and see venues like this.

Or visit ruins from the original occupants of this land and whose descendants continues to occupy the cities, villages and pueblos throughout the state.  It is a rich broth of Indian ancestry, hispanic descendants, and Anglos.
 Santa Fe is my favorite city, the state capitol, but really an art capitol, 3rd largest art market in the country.
And believe me I gallery hopped until I was dizzy.  Curators and managers are a delight to speak with and you can find anything you like in the 250 galleries in the area -- from traditional to contemporary, 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional.  All subject matter is presented -- local emphasis and Native American influences are strong, but you can find more generic traditional work, too.
 Santa Fe has been there for centuries and it will endure and continue to delight for a few more.


If you love history, art, exceptional cuisine (oh my yes there are the restaurants), consider a trip to New Mexico and Santa Fe -- and be enchanted.



No comments:

Post a Comment