Wednesday, June 28, 2017

What Entices Me



"Forgotten Door" Krys Pettit

Recently I was asked what inspired me to paint. I found it a difficult question to answer.  When I began painting anything delighted me that had bright, vibrant color. Florals and landscapes dominated my portfolio.  But as I continue my art career I am drawn to subjects less noticed, forgotten places, corners of structures that are noble but suffer from neglect and abandonment.

"Late Afternoon Memories" Krys Pettit

Living in an area where developers build shiny new structures on every square mile of available land makes it difficult to find subject material.  I also find structures in historic districts that were once left to the forces of nature often are properly saved from the wrecking ball and revitalized.  So catching images of these once grand places has its challenges.

"Forgotten Beauty" Krys Pettit
I take vacations and trips away from the homogeneous and theme-park-like venues. I get tired of the prettiness- it does not tell a worthy story. Moldy buildings with multiple hues seduce me.

"Evening's Stillness" Krys Pettit



I believe that old buildings have a better story to tell. The years and ghosts of lives are steeped in the walls, beams, windows, doors.  They are surrounded by the grace of nature, old trees, wisps of leaves and dried grasses, creating a melancholy but rich harmony of life.







"Sharing the Light" Krys Pettit
And while I will still reach for  bright colors to create a floral bouquet or landscape I prefer those muted blues, purples, greens and browns that lend a quiet contemplative pace to the journey of my art.


Please take a moment to visit my website for samples of my art.

Krys Pettit - Artist

No comments:

Post a Comment