Wednesday, January 31, 2018

What's on My Book Shelf


It's OK to confess that you love books -- so do I.  I have bookcases built by my talented husband scattered throughout the house.  Each has its own subject matter - travel, cooking, chocolate making (yes really), baseball, railroads and transportation, history. But the one closest to me is the art bookcase. Allow me to share some of my book lover's shelves.

Art instruction - it's better than online streaming

Watercolor is a tricky medium and a good artist has an arsenal of help on their bookshelf.  Some of these I acquired 20+ years ago when I first started painting and they are still my go to.  Digital is great but there is something to be said for splattering paint on a book page when you're trying to work through a problem.

My go to inspiration -- never fails

I have a profound love and admiration for certain artists -- and I often look at the technique and inspiration of these favorites: Andrew Wyeth, Winslow Homer and Claude Monet.  Other artists are on my shelves but these -- well, they are special to me.

Welcome to Art History - Krys Pettit Style

Art history -- I am an amateur but an expert in my own way. I can easily lead you on a tour of many a collection, fill you in on those marvelous Impressionists, and tell you about the timeline of the great Van Gogh.  

Art fact and fiction

I prowl through antique stores, used book stores, flea markets and book shows, looking for books about art, artists, novels written about artists, and a few scholarly tomes about the influence of art in regional America.

These are just a sampling of what rests on my shelves, sits in my hands,  is used in the studio and lands on the kitchen table while I take a lunch break.  I adore digital, but truth be told my love affair with the feel of a page and the weight of a well written art book brings me as much comfort as creating my own work in the studio.  

Visit my website to learn more about what motivates me to paint.  And you are always welcome to share your love of books with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment