Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Joseph Mallord William Turner Knows Storms

The Storm, c.1840-45
Joseph Mallord William Turner
Joseph Mallord William Turner -- or JMW Turner (1775-1851) to keep it short -- was a remarkable British artist decades ahead of his time.  When many were painting perfect landscapes, portraits of family pet, prize race horses and heady aristocrats (with or without the horses),  Mr. Turner turned the art world upside down and painted gritty, emotional, full-blown impressionistic paintings, long before his time.
This past week the southeast coast had its fill of storms with Hurricane Matthew.  While I sat out the wind and rain in my secure home I wondered how I could ever convey the power of such a storm. Then I remembered Mr. Turner.  And I realized I shouldn't bother when it's been done to perfection.
If you want to learn more about Turner and why many impressionist artists like Claude Monet were influenced by his work, you can find more information at this website dedicated to his work:
The Complete Works of Joseph Mallord William Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment