Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Growing Up



"Girl With A Watering Can"
Auguste Renoir
"Church of le Sacre Coeur from Rue Saint Rustique"
Maurice Utrillo
"Sunflowers"
Vincent Van Gogh

"Young Woman at a Half Open Door"
Rembrandt

"La Sylphide"
Edgard Degas
I grew up in a small family.  My parents were hard-working entrepreneurs-they ran their own small restaurant in a major city in New Jersey.  It was hard work, hours were long, and it left virtually no time for leisure activities for us as a family. My fun was working in the restaurant after school and meeting our customers and helping out where I was needed.  I didn't mind really.  As long as as I was able keep drawing and coloring as a child I was quite happy. And I loved being around my parents and their loyal patrons.
My parents made an effort to provide me exposure to the arts even though they had no time to take me museum trekking or to live performances.  Classic literature and contemporary novels were scattered through the house, music was always playing, either on the radio or through a vast collection of vinyl LP's, from classical to show tunes. And my exposure to visual art came through books.  We also had various prints in our home, which were at that time reproduced and "framed" ready to hang.  These were available at department stores and my mother made sure they were scattered throughout our apartment.
The images above are what I remember seeing each day as a child.  I did not particularly ask for them -- they appeared and decorated our living room and my bedroom.  A book of Utrillo prints was always available for me to look at.  And although I don't recall I am sure a book of Monet's art was on the shelf somewhere.
I always loved these images and rarely thought that I of them as "art."  They were part of our family and our lives.  Looking back I realized that my parents in their very great wisdom laid a foundation for me to create and appreciate a beautiful and extraordinary way of looking at life.  I see now that I was influenced by these images in my work.  And for that I am thankful and very grateful for two very exceptional people who were my parents.  Everyone should be so very lucky.
Visit my website to see more of my work and how my early days have influenced the work I produce now:
Krys Pettit Artist


No comments:

Post a Comment