Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Why Not Your House?

Family Home - Orlando, Florida
Family Home - North Florida

First Home - North Carolina

Family Home - Dordogne Region, France

Family Cabin, Adirondack Mountains, New York
Artists paint portraits of people, they paint portraits of animals and family pets.  I chose many years ago to paint portraits of homes.  I call them "House Portraits" but they are much more than a painting of a building.
When I meet with a client that has chosen me to create a painting of their home, I chat with them about the history of the house, where it is, how long they have lived there, perhaps their family life and the special moments that they remember from this particular home or building.
We talk about the colors of the house, the foliage, the time of year the photo reference was taken. These are the nuts and bolts of working with the patron and creating the painting.  But I feel that sometimes the most important thing a client can share is their memories and experiences.  This is what I keep in mind when I create these very special house portraits.  It is the essence of being in a unique, special home that I feel carries through into the work.
I had a friend tell me that she wouldn't think of having a portrait done of her home - that her house it is nothing special or grand.  I think of it differently -- it is special, grand, and wonderful because it is her home and a wonderful, unique, and warm place to remember.  It is much more than walls, a roof, windows, doors and a lawn.  It is where family happens.
So, why not your house?  Think about capturing it in a special light, a special time of year.  Think of it as something your kids, grandkids and other family members will treasure for years to come.  Why not your house -- because it is the most special place in the world.
For more samples of my commissioned house portraits and other pieces of my art, please visit my website:
Krys Pettit Art Commissioned Work

No comments:

Post a Comment