Wednesday, April 12, 2017

I've Got Style-But What Exactly Is It?

"The Red Gate"
Krys Pettit
Oil on Canvas Panel

"Down the Garden Path"
Krys Pettit
Oil on Canvas Panel
An artist strives to have a particular style.  So I was elated when two very informed art mentors/instructors told me I had a "lyrical style."  Then I realized I had no idea what a lyrical style was.
Granted I NEVER paint without listening to music, instrumental or vocal, rock to classical.  I've been known to sing while I paint (usually something in the great American Songbook and old standards), but I suspect this isn't what my art contemporaries mean by "lyrical style."
Thanks to all that is great and on Google I was able to solve the mystery of what kind of style I do indeed have.
The Museum of Modern Art Glossary of Art Terms state that Lyrical means "Expressing deep personal emotion or observations; highly enthusiastic, rhapsodic."  Simple enough.  But other glossaries go into more detail: "A quality... referring to a certain ethereal, musical, expressive, or poetic quality of artistic expression. Although difficult to define ... it possesses a certain spiritual or emotional quality... the work expresses a particularly profound, passionate or tender sentiment, perhaps related to romanticism or other lofty expression."  Quite the description -- frankly they got me at "...difficult to define..."
So I have a style - and although I'm not sure how to describe it I think it pretty much describes me. Now excuse me while I put another Cole Porter CD into my player.
To see more of my work (lyrical or not so much), please visit my website:
Krys Pettit - Painting Moments of Color and Light

No comments:

Post a Comment