Wednesday, April 26, 2017

What's Behind Those Windows?


Morning Windows
Charleston, South Carolina

I started painting windows many years ago.  I was drawn to them whether they were broken, ancient, plain, or decorated.

Blue Shutters - Casa Feliz
Winter Park, Florida




I thought they would make ready subject matter.  Think about it -- windows are pretty much every where.  










Before the Storm
Charleston, South Carolina





They have a life of their own 
depending on the weather and time of day.





I found I preferred the older ones, the ones with more character, who had seen and experienced more in their lives.

Moonlit Ruins - Bulow Plantation, Florida


Passages , Princess Place - Flagler County, Florida


I fell in love with cities and towns just by what kind of windows I found wandering when I was wandering the streets -- Charleston, Savannah, 
and of course the jewel box of Paris

Spring Light  - Charleston, South Carolina


Evening Window - Savannah, Georgia


Paris Window - Paris, France



Sometimes a window can look out and speak volumes of the person who has lived in that house -- like this one in the kitchen of the Olson home in Cushing, Maine -- where Christina of the famous Wyeth painting, "Christina's World" spent her life.
Winter Memory Olson House - Cushing, Maine


Solitude - Owl's Head, Maine


Windows have become a symbol of memories and travels to me, ambassadors of the city where they dwell. I never cease to wonder about what is behind all those windows.  In many ways, they are like people, not so different in look, silence and solitude.

For more information about my artwork and my paintings of other things besides windows, please visit by web page at:









No comments:

Post a Comment