Wednesday, November 1, 2017

A Pinch of This, A Dash of That


I come from a long line of chefs, cooks and restaurateurs.  I myself have a line of truffles that I produce for select clients. I find that tools are important to a chef but sometimes the same tools do double duty for me as an artist.

The above image gives you an idea of the go to tools I use when I work in watercolor.  Some are conventional but all are more than the usual instruments of brush, water and paper.

Paper Towels -- they clean your brushes but also make a nice texture when laid into wet pigment.
Salt -- shake it onto wet pigment and it absorbs the paint and leaves neat little snow-flake like shapes.  I always shake off the salt -doesn't add anything to the flavor the painting!
Bubble wrap -- makes for cool shapes when you press it into wet paint.  And it's good to pop when you are thinking.
Corks -- not to encourage anyone to drink wine (an added benefit) but they can be used to press into wet paint for unique round shapes- even cutting them in half will bring out an interesting pattern
Sponges -- big ones for clean up and wiping brushes -- but little ones are used to create subtle effects and patterns.  I like to sponge on multiple layers of color for a stucco effect.
Palette Knives -- scrape the paper from pigment, apply paint (even watercolor) on paper.
Exacto Knife -- king of the scrapers -- that fine blade makes a fine line - but beware it will cut you and the paper!
Toothpicks -- Nice tool for fine lines.  Handy for after lunch or dinner.
Razors -- can be scrapped on paper if you have a light touch -- also makes decent fine line.
Cut up charge cards--  great tool for lines, scraped streaks of paint on paper.  Also makes you feel good to cut one up when it's paid off.
A toothbrush -- dipped in watery pigment and tapped with a brush it produces a myriad of tiny dots, streaks--great for adding texture.
Straws -- blow through them on wet wet paint on your paper and see what happens -- what a tool to create a windy scene.  Also great for smoothies and margaritas :).
Fine mesh sifter -- pour a little diluted paint and tap on the handle -- you've a created fine texture that can be layered multiple times--gives depth.
Facial Tissues -- OK there is crying in painting sometimes -- but additionally these are a life saver for lifting and streaking and removing unwanted paint while its wet.  I actually paint with them in my hand at all times--lifting those little mistakes becomes effortless.
Plastic wrap -- crinkle it up or lay it flat on wet pigment and lift.  You will be amazed at the painterly abstract shapes this will create.  And it keeps that sandwich fresh while you slave away at some detail on a piece.

So now you know some of the tricks of my trade.  It makes a conventional painting a lot more fun and challenging and pretty unique. And helps me remember that I need to make dinner ;)!

To see my work and to find some of these techniques I described please visit my website:
Krys Pettit - Artist

No comments:

Post a Comment