Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Monet and I

Claude Monet Gravesite
Giverny, France
Photo by Krys Pettit


I suppose only an artist would go to another artist's gravesite.  Or note when the anniversary of their death is.  Monet's is December 5th.  Perhaps it's a bit melanchology to begin this with his gravesite. Not that the concept of Monet's death is troubling.  It just seems that this common grave maker is not enough of a visual tribute for the man who created so much beauty and color on canvas.  

I've had a love affair with Claude Monet for decades.  His work enraptured me when I was a child and it continues to bring me joy and influence my own work.  So a trip to Paris some years ago had to include a visit to his home and gardens.

It was a cloudy day in April when we visited Monet's home and gardens  in Giverny, France.

The delicate rose color of the building always stuck in my mind even from countless photos and books I had seen. I find that I paint many buildings this same delicate color of pink.

Since it was so grey out so much of the beauty of the gardens was hidden behind a rainy mist.




It was early in the season and much had not yet started to bloom.  The place had an eerie, haunted quality to it this early morning.
                                                                                                 Azaleas and their chromatic colors burst through  the silvery green foliage every so often.
My husband made sure to document that I had been there by having me smile for the camera by the covered arbor to the Monet's front door.

It was a lovely experience and following that with a visit to the Orsay Museum to view his paintings and the spectacular water lilies at the L'Orangerie Museum continued to wrap me in more Monet. 



The experience was overwhelming for me as an artist.  It is only recently that I have been able to go back and look at the photos from the trip and all the subject matter to paint.  "Les Petits Bateaux" is an oil painting based on two little boats hidden in the trees and grass at Monet's garden.  To capture the silent beauty of this place still eludes me.  Perhaps it was only meant for the brush of Monet to bring it to its glory.

"Les Petits Bateaux"
original oil
by Krys Pettit

For more watercolor and oil landscapes of mine that have been influenced by Monet please visit my website:









No comments:

Post a Comment