Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Change and Upheaval

No more palm trees in my yard -- spectacular hardwoods and rolling hills  now surround me
Relocation has its own particular stress. A positive exciting time, new places, new opportunities, beautiful topography and a wonderful, dare I say, perfect house.  Such was my artistic life for the last 6 months. Rather than creating art I spent my months packing a house and unpacking a house. I found myself keeping company with  200 plus Uhaul boxes.  Bubble wrap -- certainly enough bubble wrap to encircle the globe at least once.  Rolls and rolls of packing tape.   I hate packing tape but I grew fond of the clear stuff vs the brown stuff as the months went on.
After decades in a warm, tropical climate we realized we had enough of paradise. Or at least paradise as tourists and developers imagined it. So we searched for 3 yrs and found a location that was right and comfortable for our life style. Quiet, surrounded by woods, mountains, lakes, and some darn good wineries.  All the details fell into place over a short period of time.  No worries -- I can pack and coordinate the moving of 2 home offices and an entire house.  Let's just say it all worked out wonderful but stress eating (and occasional day drinking) resulted in a comfy extra 10 pounds.
And now I am here. After 6 months of adjustment I am finally finding my way back to healthy eating and creating art.  
I am fortunate to have a spectacular location, quiet and with great opportunities to show my work in the region. More than that I have two spaces to work in -- a designated area for office cum watercolor studio and a room in a basement of oil and acrylic work where I don't need to worry about whether the paint dripped on the floor.
New work is slowly taking shape - looser, better composed, plus exploring some new methods.  I'm inspired by the local landscape as the seasons make themselves know but am also revisiting old memories that end up on canvas and paper.  


"Late Afternoon Glow" © Krys Pettit, watercolor on gessoed paper, 11"Hx15"W
"Red Bud Season" © Krys Pettit, watercolor on paper, 15"Hx11"W

I have been lucky to become part of a local art coop where I can show my work and was thrilled to be accepted in a state-wide exhibit showing in late summer/fall.
More than anything I am grateful. Grateful to have the means to be in a new location, to be excited by new places and opportunities and to have my life as an artist.  It is, indeed, all good.

Visit my website to see more of my work

Follow me on Instagram to see work in progress, what inspires me to paint, and the most current examples of my artwork:




No comments:

Post a Comment